Stavir 30 mg
How it works
What is Stavudine?
It is an antiviral drug that prevents the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) virus from multiplying in the body. This medication is used in the treatment of HIV/AIDS. It will however, not cure the body of HIV. This medication is sold under various trade names, a couple of which are Zerit and Stavir (made by Cipla).
How should I take Stavudine?
stavudine pronunciation Take Stavudine HIV/AIDS medication (Zerit, Stavir) strictly according to your doctor’s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over. All medications come with a patient leaflet. Refer the instructions in them for detailed information on that particular medication.
You may take Stavudine with or without food. This medicine is taken once every 12 hours normally. Maintain a fixed dosing schedule to ensure the proper amount of medicine in your body. HIV/AIDS is usually treated with a combination of drugs. Always take the prescribed drugs as directed by your doctor. Store this medication in a cool and dry place.
What if I miss a dose?
stavudine dose If you miss a dose of Stavudine, take it as soon as you remember. Don’t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
What if I overdose?
In case of an overdose of Stavudine, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immediately.s.
Side Effects of Stavudine
- stavudine structure Some common side effects of Stavudine are headache or diarrhea. If any of these effects persist or deteriorate, seek medical attention right away. Changes in body fat deposition may occur while taking HIV medication such as increased fat in deposition in the upper back and stomach areas whereas less fat in arms and legs.
- Some people may experience deterioration of a previous medical condition as their immune system recovers, or develop new conditions due to overactive immune system. Let your doctor known right away if you develop any new condition or any of you existing conditions worsen.
Lactic acidosis has been observed in some people who took Stavudine.
- Initial symptoms of lactic acidosis may deteriorate over time and can prove fatal. Hence you must get medical attention right away on first signs of lactic acidosis such as muscle pain or weakness, numb or cold feeling in the limbs, breathing trouble, stomach pain, or nausea with vomiting.
- Stavudine can also cause severe or life threatening damage to your liver or pancreas. Seek medical attention right away if you have any of the following symptoms of liver or pancreas damage: sever pain in upper stomach which advances to the back, nausea and vomiting, fast heartbeats, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay colored stools, or jaundice.
Stavudine can also cause nerve problems in the hands, feet, or legs also called as peripheral neuropathy. Symptoms may include numbness, tingling, muscle weakness or decreased muscle control. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of these side effects.
- The side effects mentioned above are not the only ones that you may experience or witness due to Stavudine. If you get any serious side effects due to this medication, contact your doctor right away.
Stavudine Dosing Information
Stavudine dosage may depend on a range of factors like age, s**, drug allergies, or seriousness of the condition among several other factors. Your dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you properly. Remember to follow your doctor’s advice properly for best results.